Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Early Signs of Labour

Go down 
+7
debee
Janey
uksammy
xJennax
Rebecca-Jayne
debbie Odell
skorpy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
skorpy
skorpy

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Early Signs of Labour Empty
PostSubject: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockFri Sep 01, 2006 9:26 am

Early Signs of Labor - How to Recognize Labor Symptoms

This is the most dreaded period of time during a woman's pregnancy. Labor can be a very painful, yet rewarding time. For some women, labor can only last a few hours, while for others it can last more than 24. Below, you will find a list of what to look for. The following are early signs and symptoms that you might be in labor. Prepare, you are in labor and getting having a baby!

Signs of Labor - Is Labor Approaching?
Many women begin to experience signs and symptoms of labor days and weeks before the baby is actually

born. These signs of labor that occur which tell you that labor is drawing near, help prepare your body for delivery. If you are a first-time mother, these early signs of labor may occur weeks before delivery, while subsequent pregnancies might result in these occurring closer to delivery. Here are early some signs of labor approaching.

Engagement
A labor draws near, your baby's head will begin to descend lower into your pelvis. This happens as a result of the softening of your uterus. Also known as dropping, engagement allows you to breath more easily. Any heartburn symptoms you have had, also begin to cease. The dropping of your baby can happen anywhere from two to four weeks before you baby is actually born. When you experience this early symptom of labor, you can be assured that the process of having a baby is beginning. Your pregnancy will soon be coming to an end, and the early signs of labor you've been experiencing are true.

Pelvic Pressure
After your baby drops, in which your baby's head is settled into your pelvis, you may begin to experience some minor discomfort. This pain is considered pelvic pressure, and you may begin to pass water and bowel movements more frequently. It's one of the obvious early signs of labor. Your baby is placing additional pressure on your bladder and bowel, which is why this occurs. The relaxation of your joints and ligaments may cause your pubic bones and back to ache. This also causes sharp twinges as your baby presses down on your pelvic floor. In addition your legs and feet might swell, as the compression of blood vessels happens. Lying on your left side, might help with alleviate one of these early signs of labor.

Vaginal Discharge
Don't be surprised if you notice an increase in vaginal secretions. As the softening of your cervix occurs, white, and sometimes pink discharge may be seen. This is one of the more uncomfortable early signs of labor. A yellow or frothy discharge might indicate that an infection is present. If the softening of the cervix occurs, and you notice this discoloration, notify your doctor.

Nesting Instinct
Aside from physical early signs of labor, you may experience nesting, which is nesting instinct. This is another of the emotional early signs of labor, and nesting is characterized by emptying drawers, clearing out closets, scrubbing floors, and other cleaning chores. This feeling is a maternal instinct that having a baby is drawing near. While want to make the most of this sudden burst of energy, don't to overdo things. Although this urge to prepare for the arrival of your baby is there, you need to conserve your energy, as the early signs of labor will result in other signs of labor.

Braxton Hicks Contractions
This early sign and symptom of labor is named after the doctor that identified and named them. Braxton Hicks contractions, indeed are considered true contractions, however they are not the real ones. They are designed to prepare your body for having a baby. Braxton Hicks contractions stretch the lower part of your uterus, which enables your baby's head to settle into your pelvis. It also helps the softening of the cervix. You might notice as true early labor draws near, these Braxton Hicks contractions intensify, and cause your abdomen to tighten. Lying down usually helps with the discomfort of these early signs of labor.

Shivering or Trembling
Another of the early signs of labor is occurring is a shivering or trembling feeling that you might experience for no reason. This early sign of labor might happen without any sensation of cold or weakness, and can be the result of stress hormones or an alteration in the level of progesterone in your body. Shivering and trembling is yet another of the early signs of labor and that you'll be having a baby. Continue reading for more early signs of labor.

Diarrhea
An unpleasant early sign and symptom of labor is diarrhea. A release of the body chemical prostaglandins might occur in the process of early labor. This trigger can result in episodes of loose bowel movements. Read on to see a list of early signs and symptoms that labor is imminent, and you should consider taking yourself to the hospital.

Early Signs of Labor Being Imminent
The exact cause of the onset of labor is still unknown. As of now, the most current theory is that the baby helps produce substances that result in a change of pregnancy hormones. There are typically three major signs and symptoms that you are going into labor, and will be having a baby.

Mucus Plug or Bloody Show
You will begin by experiencing the softening of the cervix. As this occurs, the cervix begins to dilate, and the mucus plug which has sealed the cervix throughout your pregnancy begins to dislodge. A bright red to brownish liquid may appear, and this is called bloody show. Although a show may infer that labor is imminent, it can also occur weeks before the labor actually begins. Therefore, this cannot be the only sign and symptom that labor is to come.

Rupture of Membranes
Also known as your "water breaking", the rupture of membranes occurs when the amniotic sac breaks. This is one of the most common early signs of labor. If you water does indeed break, you can almost assume you will go into labor within 24 hours of that happening. Once your water breaks, contractions usually begin to intensify, and your baby is getting close to your dilating cervix. If your water breaks while you are at home, keep track of when that occurs, as well as the consistency and amount of amniotic fluid that has been discharged. Amniotic fluid is usually clear and odorless, and will usually continue to leak until you deliver. Doctors encourage women to keep their vagina free from any foreign substances, as their is a risk that it may become infected. Your water breaking is one of the most common early signs of labor.

Regular ContractionsOne of the most common signs of labor and way to tell if your labor is strengthening is the consistency of your contractions. The softening of the cervix will steadily dilate and it will continue to until you are fully effaced, and this of the obvious signs of labor, will mean your baby will be coming. Your contractions will become more rhythmic and will begin to lengthen in time and in intensity. Your contractions begin a process which pushes your baby slowly through lower uterus, and consequently delivery is coming close. These contractions, along with the other things listed, are clear early signs of labor and symptoms that your labor is imminent, and you soon will be having a baby!
Back to top Go down
https://babytalk.forumotion.com
debbie Odell
child
child
debbie Odell

Female
Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockFri Jan 19, 2007 8:47 am

I know it sounds a little weird or maybe even crazy, but I am afraid that I wont know when I am having a contraction. Like the early ones. Do you have any suggestions?

debbie
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockFri Jan 19, 2007 11:47 am

LOL you will know when it happens hun, no doubt about it hehe.
Back to top Go down
xJennax
child
child

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2007-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockFri Jan 19, 2007 12:01 pm

debbie Odell wrote:
I know it sounds a little weird or maybe even crazy, but I am afraid that I wont know when I am having a contraction. Like the early ones. Do you have any suggestions?

debbie

You will either have some kind of show,or just straight to mild contractions...Some woman even gets back pain before going into labour.... A myth is that a woman starts to clean the house and flap about which is called nesting Wink

Some woman dont know they are in labour at first because some contractions are like mild stomach pains.
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockFri Jan 19, 2007 1:00 pm

Quote :
A myth is that a woman starts to clean the house and flap about which is called nesting Wink

lol i went through that Wink
Back to top Go down
xJennax
child
child

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2007-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockSat Jan 20, 2007 2:13 am

So did I,and they say its a myth.But I think its true. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
debbie Odell
child
child
debbie Odell

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockMon Jan 22, 2007 11:42 am

Everytime I go to the doctor he asks me if I have had any braxton Hicks and I dont know what to say because I do get cramps and a little tightening but I am not sure so I dont want to alarm him so what do I do?
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockMon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 am

Tell him you are getting them. Its perfectly normal to have them so dont worry Wink
Back to top Go down
skorpy
skorpy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockMon Jan 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Yes its normal,although most first pregnancies,some mums dont notice them.

I take it this is your first pregnancy?
Back to top Go down
debbie Odell
child
child
debbie Odell

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockWed Jan 24, 2007 2:28 pm

Yes. Very first!
Back to top Go down
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner
uksammy

Female
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockThu Jan 25, 2007 4:35 am

I wasn't convinced when I was in labour. I woke at 1.20 am in a wet patch, then I was getting slight tightening it took me 2.5 hours to ring the birthing centre and wake my partner because I didn't know if it was the real thing, I didn't want to look silly if it wasn't!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/uksammy
skorpy
skorpy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockThu Jan 25, 2007 2:55 pm

With my first pregnancy,I was 2 days late.I started getting pains in the pub one evening at 7pm.Just thought they were normal cramps.

Went on and on all night,but I went too bed.By 2am they got really bad so I phoned the hospital and told them I was getting them every 2 mins.They said to get in now. lol

I was in full labour all night,but didnt do anything about it.By the time I got to the hospital,it only took 6 hours later for Liam to be born.haha
Back to top Go down
debbie Odell
child
child
debbie Odell

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockSun Jan 28, 2007 3:20 am

Thats what I am scared of I am scared of not being able to tell when i need to know.
Back to top Go down
Janey
child
child
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2007-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockSun Jan 28, 2007 8:25 am

Hi Debbie,
You may well go over your due date and this is completely normal with your first baby.

With my first baby, I was actually already in hospital when I went into labour. I spent the last two weeks of my pregnancy in and out of hospital as I kept having false alarms.(just very strong Braxton hicks)
It's very un-nerving as a first time mum as everybody is different, and we tend to panic.
You'll know when you go into labour as the contractions will be unmistakeable. They will be strong and very regular. As long as your waters don't break at home then I'd hold off as long as you can going into the hospital. It seems once your in there, it drags and you just feel so much more restricted..At home you have the freedom to wander about and take your mind off things.
When I was pregnant with my third and last child I went up to the hospital when my contractions were about 20 minutes apart. It was still another 9 hours before she popped out. They had me strapped up to a baby heart monitor and so was stuck in bed.. Finally they let me have a warm bath and this really kick started things. I couldn't wait to get home the next day..She was born at 9.05 in the morning and "perfect day" was playing on the radio in the delivery room.. I'll never forget that as long as I live..It was lovely..she was so perfect sleepy

Once your in your final week of pregnancy, if you start feeling contractions (a really firm tightening of the stomach) then just phone your local maternity hospital, and they will advise you what action to take

Good luck and don't hesitate to give us a shout if your unsure of anything..

Janey xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.slimmingworldsupport.editboard.com
skorpy
skorpy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockMon Jan 29, 2007 6:15 am

debbie Odell wrote:
Thats what I am scared of I am scared of not being able to tell when i need to know.

You will know,like others have said..Real Contractions are unmistakable Wink
Back to top Go down
debee
Toddler
Toddler
debee

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2007-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockWed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 am

my midwife told me that if you ring when you think your in labour they can tell by the tone of yours voice ??? dont know how true this is but i suppose if your screeming in pain it would be pretty obvious,

they fobed me off all day with my 4th baby , and by the yime i went in was 8 cm but he was facing in brow possition wich is immposible for them to deliver normally so they kept leaving me to see if he would turn after 4 hours stuck at 9 cm they decided to try and turn him themselves (ouch )it did the job and out he came with one push
oh the joys
he is beautiful though
good luck im sure youll know when it happens
debxx
Back to top Go down
saraho
saraho

Female
Number of posts : 980
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockWed Jun 27, 2007 2:56 pm

oh dear that sounds painful but i bet it was worth it lol xxx
Back to top Go down
saraho
saraho

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockWed Jun 27, 2007 4:35 pm

well i didnt have no contractions with my 4th my waters broke and i went into hospital but nothing happening so they were gonna put me on a drip the next day but at 01.10 i remember having this pressure i called the midwife and she said " oh the babys coming now" they wasnt even gonna take me down to labour ward was just gonna pull curtains across, so i went mad sayin take me down which they did...she was born at 01.21 all on my own no time to call for birthing partner ..i was pretty pleased with myself until i lost a lot of blood and had to go to theatre cause i had a retained placenta :(
Back to top Go down
2ndtimemom2be
Toddler
Toddler
2ndtimemom2be

Female
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockTue Feb 05, 2008 2:41 pm

ok so i have all of those signs minus the water breaking and constant regular contractions .....even though my contractions are picking up and becoming more painful day by day
Back to top Go down
Paul
NewBorn
NewBorn
Paul

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockTue Feb 05, 2008 5:19 pm

2ndtimemomtobe good luck hope all goes well
Back to top Go down
saraho
saraho

Female

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockWed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 pm

ohhhhh hun thinking of u take it easy.....what will be will be......bubbs will come when he wants lol xxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
loudun
Elder
Elder
loudun

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour ClockFri Feb 08, 2008 11:01 am

good luck hun....xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Signs of Labour   Early Signs of Labour Clock

Back to top Go down

Early Signs of Labour
Page 1 of 1